Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lit Up

l
Serendipity Photography

It's hard to believe that a whole week has gone by since my darling daughter, Rachel married her handsome sweetheart, Jubal in a dear old church in Portland, Maine. As mother-of-the bride, I had the distinct honor of helping with the ringing of the big bell in the steeple, announcing to the whole world that the last of my four children, had indeed, tied the knot. 
 
Now that the two lovebirds have flown off for an extended honeymoon to the Emerald Isle, the rest of us are left behind to pack away the array of gifts, dry the bridal bouquet, and devour the remainder of the decadent chocolate-raspberry wedding cake. Flurries of e-mails and texts are sent back and forth across The Pond as we relive The Big Day, marveling in how we managed to get two large far-flung families all under one roof, and how the fickle spring weather impressed us with its cooperation.
 
As I look back on last Saturday, what I remember most is how we were all bursting with giddy joy and the way the glitter of the bride and groom sparkled over us as we celebrated this long-awaited wedding day.
 
Bearing witness to a couple in love always inspires me to love better, do better, be better. In the endless sea of smiles, kisses, hugs, and laughter, I sensed a silvery thread that united us all.  It's no small thing to stand together honoring and supporting these two people who we love, this sacred commitment that they share, and this intertwined journey they have agreed to begin together. 
 
So it goes. Just when I think my heart is holding all the love, joy, and dazzle I can possibly handle, it expands even more to house yet another sweet son-in-law and his amazing, beautiful, crazy assortment of relatives and friends. Today, I feel so much richer than I did a week ago. Like the happy couple, I am lit up from within, radiant with the knowledge that love always finds a way. We just need to stand aside and allow it to happen, to be ready, and to have faith that love will have its way with us in its own good time.
 
In all the years I have left to me, I will not forget watching these two dear ones fall in love, and that on the day they were united how they glowed golden, causing the sun, moon and every star to always be jealous of how they shine.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment